Scott E. Rahn
FOUNDER & MANAGING PARTNER
Los Angeles | San Diego | Orange County
Los Angeles attorney Scott Rahn resolves contests, disputes and litigation related to trusts, estates and conservatorships, creating a welcome peace of mind for clients. He represents heirs, beneficiaries, trustees and executors. He utilizes his experience to develop and implement strategies that swiftly and cost-effectively address the financial issues, fiduciary duties and emotional complexities underlying trust contests, estates conflicts and probate litigation.
Driven by a commitment to provide relief to people grieving the loss of a loved one, Scott collaborates closely with clients. He pursues and defends claims involving incapacity, incompetence, undue influence, breach of fiduciary duty, and other similar areas of dispute. His advice and counsel includes prevention and remediation of financial elder abuse.
Positive Path to Resolve Trust and Probate Estate Litigation
Scott is known for in-depth financial investigations and deftly handling intra-family dynamics and decades-long family friction. He has extensive experience in courts, arbitration, mediation and dispute resolution forums across California as well as in key retirement centers in the United States and through strategic partnerships in international locations.
His clients are typically embroiled in inheritance disputes, trust contests, will contests, caregiver undue influence, step-parent undue influence, sibling undue influence, estate administration irregularities, beneficiary bias, trustee misappropriation, accounting irregularities, breach of fiduciary duty, beneficiary theft, trust investigations, accusations of wrongdoing, fraudulent behavior, wrongful taking something from an estate, and breach of fiduciary duties. He focuses on identifying and correcting where behavior went wrong, and where pointing out where allegations of wrongdoing are simply wrong.
While Scott customizes strategies to the unique needs of each client and each case, his overall goal is to achieve the best results—as quickly as possibly for the least legal spend possible—to guide clients forward in a positive direction so they can move on with their lives.
Influenced by his Midwest roots and close relationship with his grandmother, Scott demonstrates his affinity for family values with his own family as well as in the compassion he brings to client engagements.
Investigations, Disputes and Claims of Wrongdoing in Trusts and Estates
Scott has protected his clients’ rights in numerous parental, caregiver and sibling disputes, will contests and inheritance fights, including in these recent matters:
- Incapacity: Secured a sizable judgment for an elderly woman whose deceased brother had been taken advantage of by an unscrupulous advisor.
- Fraud: Led the investigation into long-term, multi-million dollar fraud committed against a wealthy Middle Eastern family.
- Financial elder abuse: Defended a trustee accused of financial elder abuse and breach of fiduciary duty against her mother.
- Undue influence: Unwound the undue influence of an interloping gardener and his caretaker wife on a 94-year-old woman and secured the family home that had been intended for the client.
- International estate litigation: Parachuted into a years-long litigation to secure a favorable multinational/multijurisdictional litigation between decedent’s estranged children and his family.
Trust and Estate Leader for Baby Boom Generation and Families
Increasingly, Scott is resolving issues related to the Baby Boom generation and its unique longevity and wealth transfer issues. Affluent families often have multi-state and every-increasingly global footprints, and Scott’s worldwide contacts support clients in Canada, Mexico, France, Italy, England and elsewhere.
Scott’s effective solutions to the most fraught trust and estate fights has earned him recognition as “Trusts and Estates Litigator of the Year” from the Century City Bar Association and honors from and features in Vanity Fair, Super Lawyersmagazine, the Los Angeles Business Journal, and the National Law Journal. Scott is president emeritus of the Beverly Hills Estate Planning Council.
To extend his firm’s philanthropic commitment, Scott established the RMO Foundation and serves as its vice chairman. The foundation is dedicated to, among other things, preventing elder abuse.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- “Top 100 – Trust and Estate Litigation” SuperLawyers, Southern California Super Lawyers 2017-2022
- «Top Litigator», Los Angeles Business Journal, Leaders of Influence: Litigators & Trial Lawyers, 2020-2021
- “Super Lawyer” SuperLawyers, Southern California Super Lawyers 2014-2022; “Rising Star” since 2006
- Trusts and Estates Litigator of the Year, Century City Bar Association 2018
- “Elite Boutique Trailblazer” National Law Journal 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation – Trusts and Estates, 2018-2022
- Rated AV Preeminent® 5 out of 5 by Martindale-Hubbell
- Rated “Superb 10” by Avvo
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- President Emeritus, Beverly Hills Estate Planning Council
- Board Member, Southland California Alzheimer’s Association
- Volunteer Committee Chair, Alzheimer’s Association, Walk to End Alzheimer’s – Santa Monica
- Speaker/Member, Beverly Hills Bar Association – Trusts and Estates Section
- Speaker, San Fernando Valley Bar Association – Trusts and Estates Section
- Speaker, California Society of CPAs (CALPA)
- Contributor – Los Angeles Daily Journal
“Power Players” Angeleno Magazine, 2019
- Member, Society of Tax and Estate Planning Professionals
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association – Trusts & Estates Section
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association – Trusts & Estates Section
- Member, Orange County Bar Association – Trusts & Estates Section
- Los Angeles Superior Court Probate Volunteer Settlement Officer
- Member, ProVisors
- Member, University of Wisconsin Alumni Association
- Member, State Bar of California
University of San Diego School of Law
University of Wisconsin, Madison
BA, Spanish & International Latin American Relations
- Won a petition for conservatorship of the estate on an emergency basis during Covid to protect the conservatee from Nigerian fraudsters who had infiltrated, isolated, defrauded and unduly influenced her into sending them millions, leaving her broken, destitute and unable to buy food.
- Secured the estate of our client’s late father, who had been victimized by childhood friends who had forged estate planning documents to steal his estate from his family.
- Secured return of our client’s home value after her daughter and son-in-law moved into the home under the guise of “helping” her, only to have her sign the home over to them and then throw her out.
- Neutralized a hostile co-trustee who was seeking to bilk our client’s trust of millions of dollars through a series of fabricated claims.
- Secured removal of a thieving co-trustee whose malfeasance left her own mother destitute and unable to pay her bills, including recovery of the stolen assets, attorney fees and costs.
- Recovered the home of an infirm, institutionalized senior who had been victimized by his “girlfriend,” an opportunistic volunteer at his care facility, financially securing his golden years.
- Within 45 days of engagement, secured 125% of our client’s original bequests, plus attorney’s fees and costs, from their long-time friend’s estate after the 85 year-old decedent’s new husband manipulated the preparation of trust amendments to steal decedent’s estate for himself.
- Swooped in after years of protracted litigation to secure a decision from the Los Angeles probate court to end a years-long dispute over trust property between feuding siblings of their parents’ estate.
- Recovered disinherited beneficiary family’s full interest in great-aunt’s estate after financial elder abuse revealed the disinherited trust had been procured by the abuser at a time the aunt was incapacitated.
- Secured no action from the regulatory authorities following an enforcement action that threatened the license and career of a decades-long professional.
- Secured on behalf of a court-appointed guardian ad litem a prosecution agreement with counsel for the conservator of an institutionalized dementia patient who was taken advantage of financially by her financial advisor, leading to his permanent bar from the financial services industry.
IN THE NEWS
Probate and trust estate litigation law firm RMO LLP announced today that Scott Rahn, founding and managing partner, has once again been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for his work in the area of Trusts and Estates Litigation.
IN THE NEWS
Undue influence and duress are frequently cited in probate and trust litigation. Both are used by abusers as a means to gain the favor of wealthy spouses and family members, with the goal of getting more estate assets.
* AV Preeminent® is a registered certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties, Inc., used under and in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.