The 5-minute Guide for Pretermitted Children

As a pretermitted child, you likely have legal rights to an estate inheritance. Here’s a simple guide to help you get started in the process to get your inheritance.

What is a pretermitted child or omitted child?

A pretermitted child simply is a child who was born to a decedent after the decedent’s will or trust was created or amended. As long as there is no estate planning document created after the child was born, the child may file what’s called a Petition to Determine Heirship to establish the child’s right to his or her intestate share of the decedent’s estate. California Probate Code Section 21620 outlines the rights of a pretermitted or omitted child.

How do I prove I’m pretermitted?

Generally, it’s clear and obvious when a child is pretermitted. In fact, in many of these situations the fact the child was omitted may not even be disputed or lead to a dispute about what the child is entitled to. This is because in most situations it’s simply a case of a will or trust pre-dating the child’s birth, and not having been updated after the birth. If the child’s pretermitted status is disputed, then the omitted child simply needs to file a Petition to Determine Heirship with their county probate court and establish that he or she was born to the decedent after the estate plan was created. Probate litigation counsel should be contacted early to assert the child’s rights, which can often help avoid costly and drawn out legal proceedings.

Many situations are complicated by the fact that the omitted child was unknown to the decedent’s spouse and perhaps even his or her other children – e.g. a child that was born out of wedlock, known to the decedent but unknown to the decedent’s spouse. These children often are omitted but have the same inheritance rights as the decedent’s other children. These “unknown children” scenarios are factually intense and require analysis of the factual and legal merits to determine whether the child may be able to recover. Counsel should be consulted early to determine the best course of action.

How much does a pretermitted child inherit?

Under most state probate law, a pretermitted or omitted child will receive the same amount they would have had there been no will or trust – also referred to as a “statutory share” or “intestate share.” For example, if they are the only child and there is a also a surviving spouse, the child may receive up to 50% of the estate assets, and the spouse should receive the other 50%.

How do I get my inheritance as a pretermitted child?

The first step is consult an estate litigation attorney who can examine your claim and advise you on how best to proceed, whether that is contacting the estate administrator or trustee, or proceeding straight to court. If court is the best next step, your attorney will help prepare and file in the decedent’s county probate court a Petition to Determine Heirship. This notifies the county probate court charged with overseeing the administration of the decedent’s affairs, as well as the decedent’s other heirs, that you are claiming a share of the decedent’s estate. Filing the petition will begin the legal process and give you a mechanism to secure an amicable resolution of your claim – i.e. settlement – or to secure a judgment after trial. This process should be handled in consultation with a probate lawyer to ensure the best result.

It’s important to consult with a probate litigation attorney as soon as you learn of the decedent’s passing to ensure your claim is filed timely and before the decedent’s estate is distributed to his or her other heirs and beneficiaries. If you file your claim after the estate is already distributed, you are going to have a harder time collecting, it’s going to take a lot longer, and it’s going to cost you a whole lot more.

What if I’ve been disinherited?

In most states, including California, a child can be legally disinherited, and may have no rights to any estate assets. If you’ve been disinherited, you may have a claim to contest or challenge your disinheritance. For example, if the disinherited child feels they were disinherited due to the undue influence of the decedent’s spouse, another child, or a third-party like a caregiver, then the disinherited child has legal grounds to contest the will. These are highly emotional and complicated situations. If you have any questions about being disinherited, please call for a free consultation.

When should I contact a probate litigation attorney?

Generally, the sooner you contact a probate litigation attorney the better. Getting your rightful assets, as a pretermitted child, is much faster if everything is “figured out” before any estate assets are distributed to heirs and beneficiaries. It takes longer, and is more costly, if the pretermitted child’s inheritance has to be “taken back” from other heirs and beneficiaries who have already received their estate distributions.

How much does a probate litigation attorney cost?

Probate litigation can be expensive, but many lawyers, like RMO, offer alternative fee arrangements, including contingent fee and hybrid fee arrangements, if you cannot afford or do not want to pay hourly. Don’t let fear that you “can’t afford it” deter you from taking advantage of a consultation with a probate litigation attorney who may be able to help you, and in an affordable way.

Do I need a probate litigation attorney near me?

We recommend finding an experienced probate litigation attorney familiar with the county probate court in the county where the decedent lived. For example, if the decedent lives in Los Angeles, we recommend working with a probate litigation lawyer in Los Angeles. A Los Angeles probate litigation lawyer will generally be more familiar with the Los Angeles Superior Court Probate Division, versus an out of state attorney.

At RMO, we help people like you address issues like these every day.

Have questions? Call right now. It’s totally free.
(424) 320-9444

Read More

The Guide to Family Trust Embezzlement and Stealing
The Disinherited Child’s Guide to Getting an Inheritance
Can I Contest My Parents’ Will in California?
Contesting a Trust: How Will My Family React?

About RMO Lawyers, LLP

RMO LLP provides personal and efficient inheritance dispute services to individual and institutional clients. The firm’s attorneys focus on probate litigation involving contested trust, estate, probate, and conservatorship matters. Serving California and Texas, with offices in Los Angeles, Pasadena, Orange County, San Diego, Fresno, the Bay Area, Dallas, and Houston. For more information, please visit

Share on:

Most Popular

Search Topics

Read More

About the Author

Scott Rahn, Founding Partner​

Scott Rahn resolves contests, disputes and litigation related to trusts, estates and conservatorships, creating a welcome peace of mind for clients. He represents heirs, beneficiaries, trustees and executors. He utilizes his experience to develop and implement strategies that swiftly and efficiently address the financial issues, fiduciary duties and emotional complexities underlying trust contests, estates conflicts and probate litigation.

Related Articles